Admitted students will be notified and guided by International Office staff to complete the necessary immigration paperwork before beginning their studies at UNS.

Do I need a visa to study at UNS?

Yes, all admitted students need a visa to study at UNS.

What kind of visa do I need?

The length of their studies determines the type of visa required by students. The Student Visa is the most appropriate visa for students pursuing a degree program, such as a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral program (Visa Index C13).

The student visa is only valid for 30 days upon the arrival. It must be converted into a stay permit with optional validity of 6 months, one year, or two years (depending on the duration of the study permit, which is usually one year). Suppose students do not convert their visa into a stay permit within 30 days of arrival. In that case, it will no longer be valid, and they must leave Indonesian territory before the expiration date.

Visit the official website of the Indonesian Immigration Directorate to learn more about immigration.

Main page:
Type of visa:
Other immigration services:

How to apply for a Student Visa?

A study permit is required to apply for a student visa. A study permit is a document/letter containing information about an international student and official permission to study in Indonesia. This document is issued by the Ministry of Education and Culture of Indonesia. A study permit is commonly granted for six months, one year, or two years and can be extended as needed.

In short, the procedure of applying for a student visa is as the following:

  1. UNS applies for a study permit at the Ministry of Education and Culture.
  2. UNS applies for a student visa at Immigration Directorate.
  3. UNS sends visa approval letters to admitted students.
  4. Students take the visa at the selected Indonesian embassy.
  5. Students arrive in Indonesia and convert their visa to a Stay Permit.

How to convert student visa into Stay Permit?

Below is the procedure of converting student visa:

  1. Students submit their passports to UNS International Office, fill immigration forms, and pay the conversion fee.
  2. Staff of the International Office will submit the passport and other required documents to the Immigration Office in Surakarta.
  3. Students visit the Immigration Office in Surakarta after receiving notification from the International Office to take their biometrics (photograph and fingerprints).
  4. The Immigration Office will process the conversion within one until two weeks.
  5. International Office will take the students’ passports and stay permits.
  6. Students take their passports to International Office.

What immigration procedure should I take when I finish my study?

Students frequently leave Indonesia to return to their home countries after completing their studies. UNS will revoke the students’ sponsor status, and they must cancel their stay permit before leaving. This procedure must be completed seven days before the students leave. If students wish to continue their studies and stay in Indonesia for an extended time, they must notify the International Office.